Thursday, November 25, 2010

November 25 2010

Traffic chaos this morning meant that it took me 90 minutes for a journey that would normally take 25 minutes. My detour took me past Cresswell, where the Long-tailed Duck was seen from the car, without stopping, and Bell’s Dunes, where I did stop for a distant look at the Twite flock, which had a Snow Bunting with them.

Eventually I arrived at Beacon Hill (I know, I know!! From my house, Cresswell is not on the way to Beacon Hill, but I did say it was chaos) and as expected it was very quiet and it had plenty of snow. Six Woodcock and two Jay being the highlight here
Beacon Hill-CIMG1776



Heading further inland, I stop briefly at Harwood, but there are no birds at all, not even crows, and a swift retreat is called for as it starts to snow hard, again, when I’m up there. So I go to Wallington, only for it to be closed due to the “severe weather”.
I park at the bridge and do the river walk, and again very little is seen, not even a highlight!
Crossing the bridge back to the car a Dunnock is close to the road and it’s calling, I’ll get something from this. While doing this, a couple walk up to me, even though I am obviously pointing a microphone and stop to ask me what I’m doing… I also have this trouble when I am taking photos; I have spent ages getting into a good position, getting close to the bird, then some plank just walks straight up to where you are and then after the bird has flown off say’s something like “how far can you see with a lens like that?” or “what are you taking pictures of?” or, from a birder, yes a birder, “anything about?” Well actually, no, nothing about, not anymore, thanks! Think about it, please.

This is from before they walk up, just.



Driving home I pass through Seghill, where a flock of birds on a berry laden tree just over the road from Ian F’s house, just happen to be 23 Waxwing. I turn the car round and get the camera ready and try phoning Ian, only to look up and see Ian on his way, camera at the ready. Sadly no pictures as the light is rapidly going and no recording as they are next to a very busy stretch of road.

No comments: