Wednesday, November 24, 2010

November 24 2010

The weather forecast for today was poor, so I decide to stay local, just in case!
I start just after dawn at Cresswell, where I failed to get to the hide before it started to rain / hail / sleet, so I was a little damp when I opened the shutters. Three Whooper Swans were left over from last nights roost, but they didn’t stay long, a Water Rail called but never showed, the Long-tailed Duck was in front of the hide with Goldeneye and 6 Red-breasted Merganser and that was about it.

I made a dash for the car between showers and drove to Druridge. I stop at the Budge screen where the Little Egret shows nicely, although by now its snowing and the egret heads to the trees for some shelter. I try to get to the main hide but as the path is well flooded and I don’t have wellies on, I give up and turn back and connect with a passerine flock moving North through the trees. Mostly Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Great Tit with a few Chaffinch and, strangely, a Chiffchaff. I only saw it because it was calling.

Chevington is the next port of call, to pay homage to the Cetti’s Warbler. Well, it didn’t play today, not a sniff! As I’m walking away, I’m watching a large bird fly towards me, slowly my cold effected mind started whittling away the candidates for an ID. It’s not a Cormorant or a goose, it’s a, it’s a, what the hell! A Great Northern Diver at just over head height flies overhead towards the North pool. I can hear the wings whooshing through the air, it’s that close. It lands on the North pool briefly and then takes off and heads West, inland, I wonder where it’s gone?

After a stop in Amble for some lunch, I head inland myself. A text from Alan had reminded me that I could get back the Great White Egret that I dipped at Alnwick on the 14th. Initially no sign, and as I think I’ve dipped again, it appears with a big fish. I’ve no idea what sort of fish but it took some getting down.
Great White Egret Great White Egret
While walking to a vantage point to take the pictures, I come across a couple of Bullfinch. After listening to the calls the other day, I’m all clued up, sadly these are just pileata, the normal one.
Bullfinch-8D3E1264 Bullfinch-8D3E1253
And then it is time to leave, the snow has started to fall hard and it’s settling
Great White Egret

5 comments:

The Liverbirder said...

The GWE is eating a Perch. The rod-caught British record is 5lb 9oz, making the bird's dinner quite a decent sized one! Great shot btw.

Richard Dunn said...

Thanks Gordon, the fish I see mostly have batter on them

John Malloy said...

A good day Richard. Like the egret & snow!

abbey meadows said...

Great stuff Richard. Love the shots particularly the Bullfinch. I like the idea of putting bird calls on the blog, it has helped me identify Richard's pipit...a bird that has eluded me for years but that is exactly the call I heard at Widdrington tip a few weeks ago among the pipit flock but I couldn't connect with the bird. I'll know next time.

Richard Dunn said...

Cheers John! I decided that when the snow started falling, it was a good time to leave

Thanks Nigel, I read about that pipit on your blog, and knew what it was. I still need one for Northumberland