Wednesday, November 17, 2010

November 17 2010

Win some, lose some!
That just about sums up my day today, although I had more wins than loses!
I started at Chevington, in near gale force winds, with a seemingly hopeless task of seeing the Cetti’s Warbler that has taken up residence here. I didn’t see it, but, bloody hell, I heard it! Against all the odds, considering how windy it was, not only did I hear it, I recorded it as well…
 



… I’m happy with that. Not too bad for a county first and in a gale. Chevington Pools-CIMG1768                                                 
it was at the other end of there

Also here, a very nice male Hen Harrier flew by giving an excellent view, and the Slavonian Grebe was showing close to the hide, no pictures as the light was poor.
Leaving Chevington, I head North via Alnwick, in case the egret was back (it wasn’t) to Seahouse’s where there was no sign of the Desert Wheatear. Not surprising, as it was even windier on the beach, where it was yesterday. I searched for it through the dunes but failed to re-find it. The Farnes-CIMG1770                                              
The Farnes getting punished!    
                                                        
So leaving Seahouse’s I head South calling into Low Newton, nothing out of the ordinary on show and no Ghost, probably too windy for haunting today. Further down the road I pass through the patch of the Boulmer Birder, the sea was very impressive, waves crashing up to cliff top height. I head again for Cresswell skirting past Ipin’s patch, nothing here at all!
Again, I decide to wait for the Whooper Swans to come in to roost and some canny birds are seen during the last hour of light; Long-tailed Duck, Water Rail and best of all, the Bittern did a fly-by. Just as it gets dark 71 swans came in, an excellent end to the day.

No comments: