Sunday, November 14, 2010

November 14 2010

First thing this morning it was a slippery, frosty drive to Morpeth. Nearly coming a cropper twice on the way, and I drive slowly these days. As I passed a spot where someone had obviously been into the hedge, I very nearly went in there as well.
Morpeth-CIMG1763
At Morpeth there was no sign of the Squacco Heron, but it wasn’t quiet; Dipper, Grey Wagtail, Kingfisher and 22 Waxwings were seen before the heron put in an appearance, coming in from the West, high over the town centre, being mobbed by gulls. It landed in a sunny spot and stayed there for some time, showing well to all, I took no pictures of it today other than this one with the point and shoot. Leaving here a Willow Tit was obliging, right next to the bridge.
Morpeth Squacco-CIMG1765 
I head North, to stand on another bridge, this one over the Aln, over shadowed by the Castle. Where as the visit to Morpeth was a success, the visit to Alnwick was a loss; no sign of the Great White Egret. It had been seen earlier, but gone by the time I arrived, dogs and their out of control owners getting the blame…
Alnwick-CIMG1766
So onwards, even further North, to Wooler. The first flock of Pink-footed Geese was just that, a flock of 500 plus Pink-feet, but the second flock was 600 plus Pink-feet and a single Ross’s Goose. It’s the first one I have gone to look for or at, so I suppose you could say that it was a lifer.
Heading back South, stopping again at Alnwick, was another negative on the egret sighting, although I had a canny chat with John and John. I continued on to Chevington pools, where the only highlight was a Peregrine with a very full crop, low overhead. By now it was dusk so I dashed to Cresswell, just in time to see 62 Whooper Swans come in to roost.

2 comments:

John Malloy said...

very atmospheric recording Richard, trust the watery background is rain and nothing more sinister (re Naked Gun classic toilet/microphone clip!)

Richard Dunn said...

No Naked Gun moment John, but it was p*@#ing down