Tuesday, September 14, 2010

September 14 2010

A day off today and yesterdays news of a Lapland Bunting “showing well” at Newbiggin tempted me out of the house nice and early.

Parking the car at Church Point, Mediterranean Gull was one of the first birds seen, a second winter bird over head. My walk North was interrupted by a (very) recently retired colleague, so a good old chunter was had with him. I have a long way to go until its my turn to quit work.

On the golf course at least seven Wheatear toyed with me, always staying just out of range for a worthwhile photo.

Eventually the bunting was found, running mouse like through the vegetation along the coastal path and allowing some nice views. As I was photographing it, a bloke out for a walk, walked straight past me and flushed it, and stopped to ask if I was watching something good… and then when I had re-found it, a bloody dog appeared beside me and it flushed the bird as it continued on its way… so I re-found the bird again only for the guy who was out for a walk to come back and walk straight towards me down the path even though I was pointing the camera at the bird in his direction, needless to say it flushed… and he stopped to ask me about herons even though the bird he called a heron was a Cormorant! So by now I’ve had enough, the bird is nowhere to be seen, I’m on my way back to the car, fed up with people and dogs, when I flush the bird from at my feet, bugger!!!

 Lapland BuntingLapland Bunting

No comments: