Sunday, July 24, 2011

July 24 2011

With Storm Petrels being seen at all points along the coast, I had to have a go. I waited until the Sun was over the yardarm and would be behind me before I set off. Within thirty minutes of setting up, I had seen three Storm Petrel fly past, and by the time I left six hours later, I had seen eighteen!

To see that many in a day was unprecedented, until today I had only seen seven in Northumberland (and two of them were in the hand).

The supporting cast today included; seven Bonxie, six Sooty Shearwater, about fifty Manx Shearwater, six Little Gull, two Roseate Tern and seven Velvet Scoter.

Bob, David, Alan, Alan, Alan, Jimmy and Roger all turned out, and a good old chunter was had, and the birding was good!

I’m pleased I went! (unless I get Alan's cold...)

And I see that the Marsh Sandpiper is back at Blacktoft Sands, bugger!

No comments: