Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July 12 2011

A planned trip way out west didn’t happen after I watched the weather forecast that said the west would be wet. So I went back to Cambois, in the hope that the family parties of Sandwich Terns that we saw on Sunday would still be there.
The tide was down but coming in, so I set up the hide and waited. After an hour the birds were close enough to start taking pictures, half an hour later, I had to leave as the incoming tide was swirling through the bottom of the hide!

Plenty of big Sand Eels being fed to the youngsters
Sandwich TernSandwich TernSandwich TernSandwich Tern 

So I walk back towards the car, thankful that I put on the waders. I’m struggling to walk over the soft mud, carrying a still erect hide and a tripod with a 500 and camera still attached, but eventually I get to the tide line and the first thing I see are two Grayling followed by a Hummingbird Hawkmoth! Far too much lens on the camera to take pictures of that, I struggle back to the car still carrying the hide, tripod and lens. A “quick” change of attire and lens and I head back, only for there to be no sign of the Hawkmoth, it’s gone! And the Grayling are very camera shy while I am there

So onwards to Druridge. A hyper Dark Green Fritillary was on the track (and another later, next to the parked car). Two Common Tern were posing on the rocks, each trying to be the best looking bird of the day.
Common Tern
And one of Sundays two Yellow Wagtails was still showing very nicely in front of the hide. The Green Sandpiper is still there on the far shore, in the same place as Sunday.
Yellow Wagtail
It’s a fascinating thing, sitting quietly in a hide and listening to the noise that is made by others coming and going. Doors being slammed, shutters being crashed open and closed, and a bloke that is supposed to be a warden sitting in the hide whistling! And then when you come out, you find two tossers stood on top of the baffle bank, watching their dog in the pond!

No comments: