Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June 28 2011

While I am still suffering from a bout of Man Flu that kept me confined to barracks on Sunday, I decided that today I would just go out, what the hell!

After reports of Quail in biblical plague proportions, I assumed that I would have no trouble finding some myself. I tried all the local places that I have had Quail at in the past and drew a complete blank, not a sniff (other than from my dripping nose!)

Eventually I give up the Quail Quest and try for some butterflies in the warm weather we are experiencing just now. First stop, Harwood and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, with plenty on the roadside along the forest edge (a new Northumberland site for me!).

Parking at the Gibbet, I head into Steng Moss in the hope of Large Heath…

Large Heath 

…this one appears to have a bit of a crumpled hindwing

Driving back via Sweethope, more Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary and plenty of Common Blue.
Common Blue

This female was attracting lots of males.

No comments: