Sunday, April 24, 2011

April 24 2011

When I left the house this morning, I had no real plan, other than to stay away from the coast, as I thought that it would get very busy.

I stopped briefly at Arcot, where a Lesser Whitethroat in the hedge was new for the year, before carrying on and ending up at Beacon Hill.

I wasn’t prepared for a Cuckoo, that flew over as I was getting the gear out of the car. It landed out of sight and called for a short while, before it then moved off into the distance. I gave it an hour in the hope it would come back to the top of the moor. While waiting, a Tree Pipit was displaying. A few pictures were taken…
Tree Pipit


Tree Pipit, in a tree, this reminded me of a shot I took the other day…

Meadow Pipit

…of a Meadow Pipit in a tree.

Walking back towards the wood, a Tawny Owl is heard calling, in broad daylight. I spend ages looking for it, and failing to see it, so I give up and check out a couple of Redstart.

Walking back to the car, the owl starts to call again, this time I find it…
Tawny Owl Tawny Owl

Marty and Liz arrive on their bikes and I spend a while talking with them, until another birder came back up the hill to say that he had another Tawny Owl…

Tawny Owl


Not long after I arrived first thing this morning, another car pulled up behind me and a birder got out, no “good morning” or “anything about”, no none of that. “Has someone posted something about this place on a website? Every time I come here it’s dripping with birders” I nearly chose to not answer but it just slipped out “Yeah, I’ve been coming here for thirty years and I’ve never seen you here before”

So, anyway, after I left, I followed a tip off from Marty, I went and saw Little Owl. It didn’t sit still for pictures, but I did have a good look at it.

I then drove home via the Wryneck-less West Hartford.

And then, this evening I went out for an hour. Lesser and Common Whitethroat, Sedge and Grasshopper Warbler recorded and my third owl species of the day; Long-eared Owl.

I’m still unable to upload the bird songs, still no idea why.

4 comments:

Gillian said...

How very dare he?!

Stewart said...

Remember the days Rich when there was half a dozen pairs of Wood Warblers, Pied Flys and Redstarts and Mr Moore pulling up in his Merc asking whats about.

Now its Bird Forum way. I cant hack it, thats maybe why I havent been there for years and might not be back.

I'm on a mission now to see the same birds but without the tailback!

Richard Dunn said...

yeah, I mean yeah, how very dare he!?

Richard Dunn said...

I can think of better places to see Redstart and Pied Fly and well Wood Warblers are just a memory. But its a place that draws me back, not a patch like you patch boys, but something about the place I like!

Fortunately I do remember it like that, happy days...

Every time that Merc pulled up beside me, I always thought I was gonna get bollocked