Tuesday, January 18, 2011

January 18 2011

I’ll get straight to the point and start with the bad news; Grey Squirrel are at Beacon Hill! It’s a bloody disaster!!!

A bit of a mammal day today, a Fox trying to get itself killed under my car on the A1, another catching voles at Harwood, a Brown Hare, a Roe Deer and two Grey Squirrel at Beacon Hill, I appreciated them all apart from the grey’s.

Stopping early this morning to get robbed at the pumps, a Song Thrush was in full song at Annitsford, spring is on it’s way.

Beacon Hill was on the agenda and it did not disappoint, with lots of birds having a bit of a tune up in readiness for the spring that is just around the corner…

I managed to get close to a Great Tit and it performed well


From here to Harwood where a Coal Tit was very obliging and while here a couple of Crossbill flew over. I saw many more and managed to record one singing but by this time the wind had increased and I am unable to remove the wind noise, so I’ll just have to go back and try again.

Heading back towards the coast, a text from Ian confirmed that the Red-necked Grebe was showing well, so I headed to the South Harbour at Blyth for a go myself, alas it was not to be. A call from Ian gave the gen, that the bird was doing a circuit and only occasionally coming close. It did come close when I was there, but I was looking directly into the light and by the time I had repositioned it was swimming back out into the middle of the harbour…
Red-necked Grebe  
and, no prizes, it’s not a mystery, what do you think? (hover over the image for a clue)
Red-breasted Merganser

No comments: