Tuesday, December 07, 2010

December 7 2010

I’ve just been for a weekend away down south (that’s “darn sarf” if your from that way or “doon sooth” if your not) and it was a pleasure to get away from the snow. Where I was staying they had, NO SNOW! Yes, that’s correct, NONE! So it was very easy to get to the pub, and that’s what we did and with an occasional drink in the house…
CIMG1788
…one glass at a time!

As you might guess, not much (not any) birding was done, but I did see, two Little Egret roosting in a field, thirty Waxwing’s (although there could have been less, as this was on the walk back from the pub), and a couple of Green Woodpeckers.

On the way back home I diverted to the Ouse Washes, just for a look as I had never been before. No huge numbers of swans but I did see in a morning more Bewick’s Swans than I had ever previously seen in total!
Welney was disappointing; I paid to get in and all that was on view were Whooper Swans and I can see them for free back home, the best spot was at Welches Dam TL471860 or N52 26'42"  E0 9'14" with Google maps.

Most of the reserve was frozen over and the only open patch was in front of a hide with regular fly bys from groups of both Bewick’s and Whooper Swan. A Cetti’s Warbler was seen but it didn’t sing. Sadly no pictures, as all of the birds were into the light and it was too strong for worth while pictures.




No comments: