Wednesday, January 16, 2013

January 16 2013

At last a rest day where I wasn’t working, or travelling, or drinking or suffering from the dreaded Norovirus bug!

It seems that, this year, everyone is doing some sort of challenge. So not to be out done and left out, I did my own today. It’s TTCEGNMTOHYFI, that’s the Take The Car Everywhere and Go No More Than One Hundred Yards From It challenge!

It has a very simple scoring system, today’s score was 4

It means nothing, it’s just a random number.

I started this morning nice and early on the causeway at Holy Island, an excellent place for this kind of challenge, as you don’t even have to get out of the car.

The car temperature gauge said it was –6 degrees as I left the house, steadily warming up during the day to +2 degrees. I felt cold only once, during a very nice sunrise…

Holy Island-P1010740Holy Island-P1010741

ice floe’s on the road

Holy Island-P1010743Holy Island-P1010744

From the car…

Bar-tailed Godwit

Bar-tailed Godwit-8D3E4438Bar-tailed Godwit-8D3E4571

Grey Plover

Grey Plover-8D3E4490

Whooper Swan

Whooper Swan-8D3E4445

Herring Gull

Herring Gull-8D3E4501

Long-tailed Duck

Long-tailed Duck-8D3E4542Long-tailed Duck-8D3E4556

Further down the road on the way back, both Kestrel and Merlin were seen

Kestrel-8D3E4660

the Merlin had been as close as the Kestrel was to the road, but my mode of travel spooked it down the hedge a bit

Merlin-8D3E4673

Budle Bay was surprisingly quiet, but Stag Rocks was canny. A Great Northern Diver, 6 Red-throated Diver, 3 Slavonian Grebe, 2 Fulmar, 40ish Common Scoter and 20ish Long-tailed Duck

Long-tailed Duck-8D3E4680

but just one Purple Sandpiper.

Approaching Seahouses, this beauty stopped me in my tracks…

Short-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl-8D3E4690Short-eared Owl-8D3E4697

Eventually I end up at Cresswell, just as some bloke in a bright red coat gets out of his car to try and photograph the Pink-footed Goose flock, which was right next to the road. Needless to say most of the flock moved into the middle of the field, he then flushed the rest when he pulled up behind Ian’s car and got his telescope out to look at the birds; the dipstick was a birder!!!

Fortunately a small group close to my car didn’t flush…

Pink-footed Goose-8D3E4779Pink-footed Goose-8D3E4800

and so, at the end of the birding day, I had seen 73 species

4 comments:

PCF said...

Is that what's called a Busmans holiday?

Unknown said...

Phew, I thought I detected sarcasm at the start Richard, but surely not...

As you know, I'm against that kind of thing. I'm on the SOMA challenge myself. I'm doing well, The chair's a bit uncomfortable though!

Richard Dunn said...

Sarcasm! Moi?

Richard Dunn said...

this busmans holiday starts Saturday