Sunday, September 30, 2012

September 30 2012

Commitments and work meant that I missed all of the action through the week; no sea watching or falls of migrants for me.

So when I saw that the Arctic Warbler was still on Holy Island yesterday, I took a chance today and went. The weather forecast wasn’t good, but I still went!

The wind was nearly a westerly gale and most of the migrants had cleared out. I did see Whinchat, Brambling, Siskin, Chiffchaff and Goldcrest, but no sign of the target or the Wryneck.

On the way off, a Peregrine was on the usual spot

Peregrine-8D3E9310

Just as I got to the A1, I got a call from David, who had been on the island with his dad; Long-billed Dowitcher at Cresswell.

Events and circumstances have, in the past, conspired to keep me from seeing Long-billed Dowitcher in Northumberland, so I went into twitch mode!

A short time later…

Long-billed Dowitcher-8D3E9337Long-billed Dowitcher-8D3E9338Long-billed Dowitcher-8D3E9339

the list moves on!

Also at Cresswell, the Bonxie terrorising everything

Great SkuaGreat Skua-8D3E9392

and Greenshank, Little Stint, Merlin (with prey), Peregrine and a Sparrowhawk.

The finder, Andy, was still present as were Alan, Roger and Steve, just. I was followed into the hide by the Liverbirder and later Ian and then John arrived. By this time the hide was rather full so I left them to it.

2 comments:

Ipin said...

What does that put your county list on Richard?

Arctic warbler would've been new for me, didn't go for it... should of!

Richard Dunn said...

the dowitcher puts my Northumberland list at 329
bit of a low lister compared to some