Sunday, February 05, 2012

February 5 2012

A day out in the county’s west was today’s plan. The weather was a concern, but I had no problems. In fact there was more snow on the coast than on the Pennines! (and not as much as the Southern Softies are complaining about)






Black Grouse


This female Black Grouse, was one of ten seen today. The two males that I saw were too far off for pictures.

Further up the hill, Red Grouse were displaying. These two were a pair. I had seen him and when I stopped to take pictures, she appeared out of the heather.

Red Grouse Red Grouse
I had just turned the car around to try for a picture of a grouse close to the the road, when I got my eye onto a Peregrine coming up the hill. At the last moment it took a dive at the same grouse I wanted pictures of! The grouse ducked and when the Peregrine turned for another go, the grouse ducked again and then shot off low over the moor. The Peregrine can’t have been too hungry, because it just missed on the first go.

Peregrine Falcon Peregrine Falcon

On the way back I stopped at Whittle Dene, where the three Green Sandpiper’s are still in residence.






 

 
And then at Prestwick Carr, two Short-eared Owl gave a nice end to the day

No comments: