Sunday, January 01, 2012

January 1 2012

Not quite first thing, but I was out this morning, chasing some of the best birds to be had.

First stop, Marden Quarry, where the Lesser Scaup showed after a bit of a wait. Can’t get too excited about this bird, I afraid!

From here I travelled North to join the crowds on the beach at Newbiggin, where after a long walk along the beach to the Alcan power station and back, the Desert Wheatear showed on it’s original beach! Two adult Mediterranean Gull’s showed in the car park on the way back.

Just up the road at Woodhorn, the Tundra Bean Goose was on show, with four Greenland White-fronted Geese in the same goose flock.

Cresswell next, the pond very quiet, but the dunes and field to the north had loads of geese and on the other side of the road, the finch flock had Twite.

On to Chevington, where the highlights were two Short-eared Owl and a Bittern in flight, sadly I was the only one to see it.

No pictures today, and by the end of the day I was too cold, severe shivering in the car on the way home. By the time I got to Ellington the car was nice and warm, so I didn’t get out to have a look at the twelve Whooper Swans in the field at the entrance to the caravan park

No comments: