Monday, October 03, 2011

October 3 2011

A trip to Holy Island was the order of the day. I arrived an hour before the tide was due to go out, so I had a walk to the North of the causeway; two Whimbrel, six Little Egret and two thousand-ish Pink-footed Goose the highlights of that walk.

Once onto the island, I concentrated on the Snook area. Two Yellow-browed Warbler gave me plenty of frustration! The first one took ages to see and was always too far away, this is it…

Yellow-browed Warbler-8D3E0024

…the second one was much closer, but kept vanishing in its chosen bush, and by the time I left it was blowing a gale and the branches of the bush were being blown all over the place making photography almost impossible.

Other things seen; 250 plus Barnacle Geese, 500 plus Brent Geese, two Merlin (or a single seen twice!), two Brambling and a Wheatear.

So I left here and took the coast route back, stopping at Budle Bay, where the Common Crane was showing well, much further away than distantly!

Common Crane-8D3E0052

And then a brief stop at Monks House to pay homage to the Ross’s Geese, this is them.

Ross's Goose-8D3E0054

No comments: