Tuesday, February 22, 2011

February 22 2011

A planned very early morning was knocked on the head when I woke at 07:00 this morning; I had planned to be on the moors by this time, but my body clock disagreed with my plans!
So after a slightly more relaxed start, I headed out west. The further west  and higher I went, the temperature dropped, till, at Allenheads it was 2ÂșC and rather snowy.
Initially no sign of my target, but I did get some…

…followed by a Raven overhead, that flew over the valley and joined up with three others. I managed to record the single but it is a very faint recording, I’ll just have to go back for some more of that!

Further down the valley, my target showed itself. A bit too far off for pictures and recordings, but I got some of both; it’s another excuse to go back!

Black Grouse

While here, I got a couple of texts, telling of a pair of Smew at the QEII country park, Ashington; a fair old hike from where I was, but it’s on the way home (if I go the long way).
When I did arrive there, there was no sign of the birds, so I went and had a look at the White-fronted Geese that have taken to residing just up the road.

White-fronted Goose

No comments: