Thursday, January 27, 2011

January 27 2011

Another long weekend started today, too many days at work in one block to get to this point; Work gets in the way of my life!

So I’m up early, but my planned early departure is delayed until I can get to the Royal Mail sorting office to collect a couple of parcels, 3 new books to read.

I leave here and head to Harwood (again). I want to try and record Crossbill singing, and again, I heard them, but failed to record the song. I did get some nice flight calls and a bit of courtship. The male was sitting higher than the female, with both birds calling and plenty of wing flicking, but no song...







 
One of the benefits of the long walk into the forest was that I saw the Great Grey Shrike. No pictures I’m afraid, the light was very poor, in fact it was snowing very lightly almost continually when I was in the forest and the bird was too far off (plus the fact I didn’t take the camera with me!).
Shrike habitat

I head back via Morpeth, where I have another look for Hawfinch and this time I connect. I took a picture as well, it seems to be just as bad as all the other pictures I’ve seen of this bird
Hawfinch

And then it’s homeward bound with a stop at the pub on the way. The pub being the Burton House in Cramlington and only because it has Waxwing in the car park; at least 60 this afternoon.
Waxwing Waxwing
Ian suggested on Monday that I would get some recordings here, sadly it’s far too noisy, with buses and lorries and just general road noise, I need to find some somewhere nice and quiet!

No comments: